EEK! We’re just one week away from the 2019 State Fair of Texas! So today I’m going to share with you 10 things to do at the Texas State Fair. I LOVE to go to the fair each year and look forward to the food, exhibitions, animals and variety of entertainment. This year’s fair theme is CELEBRATING TEXAS CREATIVITY and tickets can be purchased here. Over the years I’ve learned a few tips and tricks to easily navigate the State Fair of Texas so I thought I would share them today. Plus, I am going to highlight what’s new this year! BONUS: I’m giving away 20 tickets to the State Fair of Texas!
Quick update on recent GIVEAWAYS: Everyone who got in to the Downton Abbey advance screening has been notified. Can’t wait to see you all on Wednesday evening at 6:00 PM for the VIP reception! Congratulations to Mary M. She is the winner of the Downton Abbey grand prize! Also, Shelley G., Debbie F., Luci H. and Kelley R. – look for a surprise coming your way in the mail this week. You are the four subscribers randomly selected to WIN a box full of new beauty products by leaving comments. Thank you to everyone for all of the blog love! 🙂
My biggest piece of advice is to attend the State Fair of Texas on opening day. The fair starts on Friday, September 27 and will run for three weeks ending on Sunday, October 20. Why opening day? The food is fresh, the vendors are excited about opening day and everything is a bit cleaner, in my opinion. The gates will open at 10:00 AM! Here are some important tidbits about this years State Fair of Texas that will help you navigate your experience. This is of course in addition to all the amazing stuff we already know about such as the Texas Auto Show, the Midway, livestock exhibitions, college football games, arts & crafts and the petting zoo.
10 Things To Do At The Texas State Fair
- Texas has a lot of great wine, which is why the State Fair Wine Garden is giving you three ways to try the different varieties. Throughout all 24 days of the Fair, wines are sold by the taste, glass, and bottle.
- There is also a stage that features shows daily during the run of the Fair. Details here.
- Produced in partnership by the State Fair of Texas and the Dallas Historical Society, “TEXAS CINEMA” focuses on the history and impact of film performers and creators from the Lone Star State, as well as the depiction of Texas through film. Incorporating a substantial amount of video and other media elements, the Great Hall will come alive with interactive opportunities and valuable historical artifacts. Through a partnership with the Dallas International Film Festival, the Hall of State’s Hill Auditorium will feature screenings all day. Experience “Texas Cinema” at the Hall of State this fall.
- Set along a scenic reflecting pool, Mattress Firm Illumination Sensation wows the crowd with dancing waters, fireworks and high-energy pop music with engaging performances by dancers and acrobats. Nightly at 8:15 p.m.
- Since 2005, the Big Tex Choice Awards contest has solidified the State Fair of Texas as the top Fair for great food creations. Each year, State Fair concessionaires fry up tasty and unique foods for a chance to become a finalist in the annual Big Tex Choice Awards competition. Everything from Fried Beer to Fried Peaches and Cream has made the cut to become a part of the exclusive club of fried food creations. There is also a list of new food items here.
- This year’s winners are:
- Best Taste – Savory: Ruth’s Stuffed Fried Taco Cone
- Best Taste – Sweet: Big Red Chicken Bread
- Most Creative: Fla’Mango Tango
Online Guided Itineraries
- Go to https://bigtex.com/schedule/
- Click “2019 Guided Itineraries”
- Select the Itinerary you would like to see/download
Casa de Chocolate: A Sweet Indulgent Affair
- Housed inside the Women’s Museum, Mundo Latino will present Casa de Chocolate, “A Sweet Indulgent Affair.” This exhibit offers fairgoers a one-of-a-kind glimpse into the origin and history of chocolate along with demos, classes, and loads of amazing chocolate.
GO TEXAN Pavilion
- Known to fairgoers as the ultimate food destination for all things Texan, the GO TEXAN Pavilion is a daily showcase of Lone Star cuisine. Presented by the Texas Department of Agriculture, the GO TEXAN Pavilion offers 25,000 square feet of space which houses dozens of exhibitors on a daily basis. Features include a range of exhibitors such as Texas honey and live bees, Texas toffee sampling, Kitchen Craft cooking demos, and much, much more!
- The State Fair of Texas has announced that it is tweaking its Opening Day celebration, which is Friday, September 27. It is continuing the annual tradition of the Opening Day Parade; however, the parade will take place in Fair Park beginning this year to accommodate other events and activities planned as part of the start to the 24-day State Fair.
- Ready, set, smile! The area around the historic Lagoon will be transformed into a walking selfie stroll called Contain Yourself(ie) Stop and pose by one of ten beautifully painted shipping containers. Aligning with our theme, “Celebrating Texas Creativity,” these shipping containers will feature one-of-a-kind artwork painted by participating Texas artists.
- The State Fair of Texas presents the 2019 Lone Star Music Series, offering FREE daily live music by Texas musicians on four stages across the fairgrounds. In addition to headlining concerts on the Chevrolet Main Stage, enjoy local acts from the DFW area every day of the Fair on the Bud Light Stage, Coca-Cola Stage, Dr Pepper Stage, and Texas Monthly Stage. Fairgoers can see more than 45 different musical acts representing a wide variety of genres during this year’s 24-day run, all included in the price of admission. With genres ranging from rock & roll to country and jazz to R&B, this year’s Lone Star Music Series offers something for everyone.
WOW! That seems like a lot of information but I really do hope it helps you plan your visit. And if you are like me, you will go several times during the three week run because well all need more than one Fletcher’s Original State Fair Corny Dog! Am I right?
GIVEAWAY: Leave a comment and tell me your favorite State Fair of Texas memory. The rides? The midway? The food? What is something that is a fond memory? Comments must be left by Friday, September 20 at 11:59 PM (CST) to count as an entry. All winners will be notified by e-mail. Good Luck!
xoxo – Tanya
P.S. Did you know that the State Fair of Texas coupons never expire? If you have some from last year be sure to bring them with you. The vendors will take them for food and rides.
shop the post
photo: Audrie Dollins
pin this image
What do you like to do at your local state fair? Share in a comment below!Tags: Big Tex, Dallas, State Fair of Texas, Texas