The holidays can be joyous, merry and bright filled with family and friends. But let’s be real and talk candidly. They can also be stressful. Last minute shopping, cooking, entertaining, travel, gift wrapping… it can all take its toll. Today I have 10 things you can do to enjoy the holidays. Kick up your heels and let’s discuss.
1. Go to the movies! You probably know that I get to advance screen a lot of amazing films and sometimes my readers get to join me. Here are some that I have seen and that I’m looking forward to. The movies are a great way to escape. Not to mention a fun way to connect with friends while enjoying popcorn and milk duds!
Recommend: LaLa Land, Nocturnal Animals, Jackie, Arrival
On my list: Passengers, Fences, Lion
2. Indulge in some chocolate! Want something delicious, beautiful and creative? Check out Maggie Louise Confections. She can even do custom designs. They’re almost too pretty to eat. Amazing!
3. Relax and enjoy your pets! Have you ever just sat still in your own house when no one else is home? Try making a cup of hot cocoa with marshmallows, turn on some Christmas music and just snuggle with your pets in front of the fireplace. It’s therapeutic!
4. Cook from a new cookbook! My dear friend, Jacqueline Cavender, who lives in Tyler, Texas penned a beautiful cookbook that benefits Cure for Cancer and Cystic Fibrosis. I love learning new recipes while benefitting a great cause. Order you copy of As the Spur Stirs here.
5. Spontaneous travel: My chiropractor Dr. Mary Collings was telling me the best travel story the last time I was in to see her. For Thanksgiving, she treated herself to spontaneous travel. She had a gift card and showed up at the American Airlines ticket desk at DFW airport. She told the ticket agent that she had 24 hours to be gone and where could she go? The ticket agent was a bit perplexed but searched her trips and Canada was the place that would work. She booked it, enjoyed the Admirals Club before the departure, got an upgrade and flew first class (the plane was nearly empty), stayed one night at a nice hotel, ate at a lovely restaurant and returned home the next day. Dr. Mary said it was the perfect 24 hour trip with absolutely no stress. Try it! By the way, if you want the best chiropractor in the North Texas area, get in to see Dr. Mary Collings (the chiropractor for the Dallas Mavericks, Dallas Stars and ME!)
6. Purchase something cute for your pet! Don’t forget about your furry friends over the holidays. Especially when the cold weather hits. The rule is that if it’s too cold outside for you, it’s too cold for them. Shop for your pets too. Here are some suggestions.
7. Read a book! This is a great time to stock up and read. I especially love the time between Christmas and New Year’s. It’s a great week to get caught up on your reading. Several suggestions below but I especially like Celebrate Everything. It’s a great book about entertaining. If you are going to cozy up by the fireplace with a good read, be sure to get this blanket.
8. Try some new hair and skin products! Recently, I was invited to the new Aveda store in Northpark Center. They did a hair evaluation and it was so good to learn what my hair really needs. If you have a chance, be sure to pop into the store and visit with them about your hair and skin.
9. Try a new facial! I hope you read my blog post about the amazing OxyLight Facial at the Spa at the Joule. Just click here to get the details. It will transform your skin. While you’re at it, try the Tata Harper skincare products. I love their scrubs.
10. Set your table early! If you are entertaining at your home for the holidays, set your table early. I always set mine the day before the event or dinner. That way I am not rushed and trying to cook and get everything ready at the same time. It also allows you to enjoy the process and remember why you love your china and crystal.
If you are still shopping, remember that you can order online from Nordstrom and chose the pick up in store option. You can do this and still get gifts today and tomorrow. I hope this was helpful. Which stress relievers will you try? Got something else that will help alleviate holiday stress? I would love to hear from you. Please leave me a comment below.
Wishing you a Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday! xoxo – Tanya
P.S. I’ll see you back here on Monday for the Best After Christmas SALES!
Tags: Christmas, dogs, pets
Tanya, I love your blog and read it eveRyan day!!!! Merry merry! Jan Baldwin
Thank you Jan! I appreciate that you read the blog daily.
xoxo- Tanya 🙂
Merry Christmas Tara!
It’s raining in Scottsdale so golf on Christmas is off
So We’ll go the movies on Christmas Day plan to see La La land
Then home for tamales and champs
Well I always say that a rainy day makes a perfect movie day.
I’m so glad you plan to see LaLa Land. Let me know what you think.
Merry Christmas Kris!
Hi Tanya…..I met you at the beautiful Ashley wedding.
Your style is always an inspiration to me especially at weddings. #blacklacedress #leopardheels
So lovely to meet you in person. I love that you told me that you read the blog each and every day. Thanks for letting me know!
xoxo- Tanya 🙂
As the Spur Stirs really is a wonderful cookbook and of course the book and Jacquline are Gorgeous- it is also a SUPER gift! Loved today’s blog Tanya!!!
It is Matt!
And beautiful Jacqueline is an East Texas gal. Gotta love that.
Thanks for being such a loyal reader and leaving a comment.