This was never going to be a blog post but when I wore this vintage Oscar de la Renta dress last week to the Crystal Charity Ball luncheon event, it took on a life of its own. Just look at the reaction and comments on this Instagram post. So, it seems appropriate that I do a quick blog post on how I incorporate designer vintage pieces into my wardrobe.
There is no question that investing in designer pieces is an excellent idea. It’s well-known that Hermes Birkin bags hold their value and in some cases will fetch a higher price when resold. But you need to be careful when you search for vintage pieces. I have several tips to help you with this process.
I will be honest here and say that all of my Hermes pieces have been purchased at the Hermes store and the same can be said of my Louis Vuitton pieces. But I would have absolutely no problem ordering one from the trusted sources below. And I think its important to mix vintage designer with current pieces. The shoes I have on in the picture above are new from my trip to NYC.
5 Tips To Incorporating Designer Vintage into your Wardrobe
- Make sure you are buying vintage pieces from a trusted source that authenticates their pieces. Each source should have an authenticity policy and department, ensuring that the merchandise they are selling is indeed real.
- Know that designer labels tend to run small. It helps to know your size in the designer you are shopping. I am always a size larger in designer labels.
- Vintage clothing items are going to run small as well. Additionally, fabrication was different in the past. You will be hard pressed to find a beautiful dress from the 50’s or 60’s that has any lycra in the fabric. Therefore it will have absolutely no give. Allow for this when purchasing by sizing up.
- I’ve ordered excellent pieces from The Real Real, eBay Authenticated Luxury Handbags and StockX (see this blog post). They always come in excellent condition and exactly fitting the description give on the site.
- You can consign your designer goods on all of these sites and make money. Bonus!
I think you will see that you can find authentic, designer pieces for a fraction of the cost. Try ordering something. I think you will be pleasantly surprised! xoxo – Tanya
shop the post
Tags: designer > designer labels > EBAY > fashion > Hermes Birkin > Louis Vuitton > StockX > The Real Real > vintage