Around this time of year, I often get asked for suggestions of flattering shorts! I think because a lot of us have a hard time finding shorts that are age appropriate but also stylish. My days of short shorts are no more, as I prefer a longer pair like many of you do. So today I wanted to share with y’all my favorite shorts options and how to wear them at any age. I’m also showing you how I wear these with heels or flats in this blog post. But before I do that, I must let you all know that today is the first day of Talbots Friends & Family Summer Sale event! Just use the code FRIENDS at checkout for 40% OFF your entire purchase from today through this Sunday, June 23!
Shop my Flattering Shorts Look:
As you can see, I styled these flattering shorts with heels first and then flats second. Personally, I think heels elevate a casual pair of shorts. So I love a comfortable wedge like these (they come in 3 colors) to wear with everything from dresses to jeans to shorts in the Summertime! But I also know many of you have voiced how strongly you dislike wearing heels, so these loafers (several colors) are a great option if you prefer flats. The outfit appears a bit more relaxed with flats if that’s what you’re shooting for. These are the loafers I wore walking all over Carmel-By-The-Sea and they are so comfortable. I have them in red and pink (fit is true to size).
The shorts I’m wearing in this post (come in 7 other colors) are the perfect neutral shade, meaning you can wear them with really just about anything on top. You know I love a good monochromatic look, so I kept it fresh with a white linen tee and cardigan. Summer whites with tailored shorts looks crisp and polished! And the key to flattering shorts is balance. This means I like to keep it more conservative on top most of the time when wearing shorter shorts. I love the look of a long duster sweater with shorts to play with proportions too!
5 Ways to Wear Flattering Shorts at Any Age
- Try knotting the shirt ends of a lightweight gingham button down with a pair of white shorts and espadrilles for casual but cool Summertime style.
- Wear a fun graphic tee front-tucked into denim shorts with a statement belt and stylish sneakers as an everyday look.
- Tuck a feminine blouse into paperbag waist shorts like these or these with heels on a night out. Add a chic blazer to take this look from work to weekend. Super elevated and on trend!
- Go for an all white look like mine by pairing neutral chino shorts with a white top & sweater and neutral wedges or flats.
- Have some fun with a trendy outfit by wearing printed shorts with a front-tucked or knotted white tee and Summer sneakers.
I hope these ideas help you when wearing shorts. I’ve linked some great options below – all different styles and lengths to suit your preference. Which one of these 5 ways are you going to try out this Summer? xoxo – Tanya
P.S. My wedge espadrilles are super old and no longer available. These are similar.
Shop this Flattering Shorts Post
photo: Audrie DollinsTags: Chic Over 50, Talbots