Do you ever get in a rut with your clothes? Do you stand in your closet for what seems like hours wondering how to put together an outfit in a different way? ME TOO! So today I am going to show you how I put this outfit together using items I have had in my closet for quite some time. And I’m giving you 5 tips for a closet refresh.
Happy March! For some reason I feel like the beginning of March signals SPRING. I know it doesn’t officially begin until March 20 but this is the month in which we spring forward to Daylight Savings Time (March 10), celebrate St. Patrick’s Day and most people head out of town on a spring break trip. But here we are still wearing winter clothes because of the freezing temperatures. I think that is why I get in a rut with the clothes I have in my closet.
I’m just like every other person, I tend to wear the same outfit combo’s over and over again. So I challenged myself to restructure some of my staple outfits and reimagined them. I wanted to push myself out of my comfort zone and put together things that I have never worn together. It’s sort of like shopping in your own closet. Doing this is a bit harder than it seems.
5 tips for a closet refresh
- Have someone help you: It’s helpful to have a friend do this with you. Pull out one piece and ask them to put an outfit together for you. That is exactly what happened to put together today’s outfit. My former assistant, Tori was helping me clean out my closet and I was about to get rid of some of these things. She told me to keep them and put this look together for me. Boy am I glad I kept them!
- Clean out your closet: Whether you doing a complete Marie Kondo closet purge or just cleaning out your seasonal items, you have to purge your closet. I clean mine out at least once a month. That’s because brands send me so much stuff that I donate a lot of my old clothes. Otherwise my closet becomes overwhelming. Hint: If you haven’t worn it in over a year, chances are you will not wear it at all.
- Find a muse: I love getting daily doses of inspiration from other bloggers, brands and stylist on Instagram. Find 5 bloggers whose style you love and follow them. Try to put together outfits like they do. Maybe the way they wore a jacket, scarf or accessory will inspire you to recreate the look. Follow accounts on Pinterest too. It’s a super visual experience and easy to follow.
- Accessorize, Accessorize, Accessorize: A few new accessories can completely change up a look. A chic scarf, some new earrings and a new pair of shoes you’ve been eyeing can take your outfit to a new level.
- Invest in great outerwear: Coats, capes and jackets will always serve you well. If you invest in great pieces they will be timeless in your closet. Make sure you have a great trench coat, a leather bomber jacket (here is a faux one), a fabulous cape/wrap, a denim jacket and a great blazer.
This look was completed with these gray jeans (seen here), a simple camel color cashmere turtle neck sweater (check out this look), a Gucci scarf, animal print heels, this double face wool coat and my cross body bag. I wouldn’t have thought to pair camel + gray but I really like the way it looks together! And as I said earlier, everything I have one I already had in my closet. A new look with no money spent. YIPPEE! 🙂
Now, I’m challenging you to do the same thing. Tell me what look you can reinvent from your own closet. xoxo – Tanya
shop the post
photo: Audrie Dollins
Exactly! This has totally been on my mind. I love the color combo above. I’m going to wear that to work this am.
Thank you, Tanya, for this post!!!
Very classy look.
Camel + gray is a great combo! You look nice and cozy.
Tanya this is a great look for you! I wear a lot of gray and navy as a blonde I find it’s not so harsh as black, although I have a lot of it. I agree with going through the closet frequently. I almost have a 1 in 1 out rule. I agree accessories are the key to stretching our clothing choices and changing the look. Please bring more posts on capsule wardrobe and accessories.
I like your look! I have been trying to do the same thing in my closet! I am tired of winter so I am reinventing new outfits!
Love your posts! Great ideas every time!
Love this look. I think I have most of these things in my closet. Will try this look tomorrow.
LOVE the camel and gray!! And thanks for this push to get my closet in order
You look gorgeous.