The end of summer is certainly most obviously signaled with Labor Day Weekend. Suddenly it’s September, back to school and with that, the return of the social season. But what to wear to luncheons, cocktail parties and formal affaires? I’ve got some great selections with Nordstrom on the blog today as well as some Cocktail Party Do’s and Don’ts.
While I love the relaxed vibe and feel of my summer schedule, it’s time to get back to reality. September in Dallas signals that the social season is gearing up again. On any given week, there will be luncheons, cocktail parties, formal events and weddings to attend. But what to wear? And what are the best things to consider when purchasing your party wardrobe?
That’s why I love Nordstrom! Not only do they have endless sections for such occasions, you will also find shoes, accessories and anything else you need to complete your look. With FREE shipping and returns, I order several selections in various sizes and try everything on in my own closet. I keep what works and return what doesn’t, although most of the time, it all works.
Both of the dresses I’m wearing in today’s blog post are available at Nordstrom and are perfect for a cocktail party or wedding. In fact, you could wear these dresses year round. The black 3D floral and sequin dress is the perfect LBD. It’s so flattering! The red one-shoulder twist front sheath is a great dress too, especially if you like to wear color. Both fit true to size. I like to keep the jewelry minimal and the shoes a nude color. I’m linking several choices below.
Now, I have some Do’s and Don’ts for such occasions that might make shopping for such an event a little simpler.
Cocktail Party Do’s and Don’ts
- DO: CONSIDER THE LOCATION
- Location of the event should play a key role in how you decide to dress. Outdoor wedding or gala? Or indoor event at a fabulous space? Either way, be sure to check the weather and plan accordingly. Hint: High heels in a grassy location is really hard. I suggest a lower, chunky heel for such occasions.
- DO: TRY ON YOUR COMPLETE OUTFIT BEFORE THE DAY OF
- There is nothing worse than your shoes or dress do not fit when you envisioned they would. There is a simple remedy – try on the ENTIRE outfit and make sure it all works/fits. I promise this will make both the experience of getting ready and the actual event a lot more enjoyable!
- DON’T: BE SCARED OF COLOR
- It’s easy to simply resort back to your LBD whenever a formal event occurs; however, if you really want to impress then try opting for a more colorful piece. An added bonus of wearing a brighter dress is that you can go really simple with the accessories, like my nude heels.
- DO: WEAR COMFORTABLE SHOES
- Many evening events require you to be on your feet a lot, socializing, and sometimes even dancing! Because of this, I really try to make sure my heels are well-worn in. There’s nothing worse than new shoes at an event!
- DON’T: OVER ACCESSORIZE
- When it comes to accessorizing, less is always more. You want to look effortlessly put together, as if you just threw on the incredible outfit last-minute. I can’t emphasize this one enough. Don’t over accessorize! Let your outfit make the statement and simply fill in the gaps with carefully selected jewelry, handbag and shoes.
Are you ready for the fall social season? xoxo – Tanya
shop the post
This blog post was sponsored by Nordstrom. All selections and opinions are my own.