Summer is upon us soon, so that means that it’s time to plan our vacations! Whether you are trying to have a getaway with your husband or take a fun vacation with your whole family, a trip to the lake is the perfect idea for an easy, relaxing weekend. If you are a frequent reader, you probably remember that I recently had an amazing lake trip to Long Cove, which is a luxury lake community of waterside cottages and custom lakefront homes close to Dallas. You can read about it in this previous blog post. I received so many questions about it, so I thought lake vacation spots would be an interesting blog post! Ramsey did a phenomenal job researching this topic and I’m going to give you some ideas about what lake spots to visit in or near Texas, including where to stay and what to do there. Also, I wanted to give you a detailed shopping list of what to bring with you on your trip!
Horseshoe Bay Resort is located on Lake LBJ near Marble Falls and 45 minutes from Austin. With three of the best golf and putting courses in the country, tennis courts, a recreation center, Yacht Club, and one of the largest marinas in Texas, you will find plenty to do here! You can enjoy beautiful lake views and a very relaxing atmosphere. They even offer condo rentals if you prefer something private or for your family. If you’re with your spouse, you’d surely love to take part in a sunset cruise, winery tour, couple’s massage, spa day, or cabana rental at the Yacht Club pool. They have eight restaurants that range from wonderful waterside dining to a casual sports bar and lounge. There’s also a steakhouse or even room service available. Some fun activities include yoga/pilates classes, bike rentals, tennis, golf, pickleball, or hiking. Then on the water they offer paddle boarding, kayaking, jet ski and boat rentals, and bass fishing. It has something for everyone!
Lakeway Resort & Spa on Lake Travis is 20 minutes from downtown Austin and features a full spa, three large swimming pools, fitness center, marina, and Southern style restaurant. This rustic chic lodging is suitable for both adults and kids. They offer rooms with a lake view, lovely suites, and even filtered, allergy-friendly rooms. If you are wanting a relaxing stay, there is an adult-only pool with a swim-up bar and cabanas available. They also have a kids pool with a water slide and the Kid Zone room with games and other entertainment. If you want to go out on the water, there is a marina for swimming, fishing, sailing, boating, jet skiing, paddle boarding, and even fly boarding. There’s lots of nearby activities to the resort like golfing, breweries and wineries, parks, zip-lines, and shopping in Austin. You kind of get the best of both worlds when you stay here!
La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa is just an hour north of Houston and perfect for a getaway! You can stay at the tower suites, golf cottages, or lake villas. There’s a wide range of activities for everyone, such as mini golf, basketball, and tennis. It’s family friendly with a kid’s pool full of water slides, a lazy river, and more. For adults, they have a championship golf course, fitness center, spa, nail salon, and fine dining. Their 8 restaurants include waterfront dining, a steakhouse, cocktail lounge, poolside grill, in-room dining, and even a sushi bar. The marina is just a few minutes down the road, where you can take part in boating, kayaking, paddle boarding, and guided fishing. Wineries and breweries aren’t too far from here either.
Lush Resort looks great because it has different accommodations, including lakefront suites, bungalows, or hotel rooms. Its small, pretty new, and family run. All of the reviews rave about this quaint spot, especially the service! This resort offers a spa, lakefront pool and beach, fishing guides, boat rentals, and even an entertainment lounge for the kids. There are also hiking trails and a golf course nearby. The modern decor is beautiful and adorable, giving you the feel of being in Florida!
If you are looking for a very luxurious stay for a couple’s retreat or girl’s weekend, I love Lake Austin Resort & Spa. I’ve written a couple posts about visiting there that you can read here (girls trip) and here (couples trip). Just 30 minutes outside of Austin, the resort is an award-winning destination spa nestled on 19 lakefront acres in Central Texas’ legendary Hill Country. They have all-inclusive packages, and I highly recommend staying in their luxury garden rooms!
Grand Lake is quite a few hours North from Dallas in Oklahoma, but the Shangri-La Resort in Afton looks like the perfect place to take the whole family! This is a golf club, resort, and marina that offers boating, parasailing, yacht charters, lodging, and golfing. There’s plenty more to do here like sip on roof-top cocktails, eat at one of their five restaurants, swim and sunbathe, or head to the spa. It really does seem like a great place to take your family and spend some time outdoors. They provide quail hunting, horseback riding, fishing tours, and even a shooting range. I’d suggest this for the adventurous couple or family that wants to get out of Texas a little!
Now… What do you pack?
1. Activewear: With so many outdoor activities, make sure you pack activewear for either the gym, hiking, or biking. Remember to bring a pair of good sneakers you don’t mind getting dirty! Pete and I went bike riding when we were at Long Cove and we needed our activewear.
2. Swimwear: A bathing suit is obvious to pack, but don’t forget sunglasses and a hat as well. If you plan going out on the water, these are all a must! Bringing a hat is especially important because sometimes sunscreen and sunglasses just don’t do the trick in the blazing sun.
4. Snappy Casual Clothes: You will probably spend most of your time outdoors, so just bring a couple casual outfits that you can wear to dinner. Nothing too fancy, but an easy dress and strappy sandals would be perfect! Make sure to pack a lightweight sweater as well, as it can sometimes get breezy by the water.
5. Tote Bag: A tote is a definite essential for a lake trip! Make sure to throw in some sunscreen, sunglasses, flip flops, beach towel, and insect repellant. Even pack yourself a good book or magazine to relax while taking in the beautiful lake view. Ramsey and I are both in love with our Barrington tote bags (see this blog post) and use them often.
6. Snacks: This may not seem necessary but I always like to pack snacks with me for the lake. When you’re on a boat all day, you’re going to want to stay hydrated and not be hungry. And if wherever you are staying has a fire pit, it can be fun to bring marshmallows and chocolate to make s’mores!
Hopefully this list helps you prepare for a lake vacation soon! I put together the boutique below of some great finds that would be perfect to pack for your weekend trip. What is your favorite lake vacation spot? Please leave a comment so that we can add it to the list.
xoxo – Tanya